DR. HENRY E. PERRINE ACADEMY OF THE ARTS
Establish a school-wide homework policy and guidelines that all teachers agree to adhere to. Inform the families about the homework policy and to provide district resources and efficient communication regarding the completion of home learning activities. Consider the student’s home learning environment and be sensitive to family time when assigning homework.
HOME-LEARNING TIME EXPECTATIONS (Nightly)
- Kindergarten – First Grade: 30 minutes
- Second – Third Grade: 45 minutes
- Fourth – Fifth Grade: 60 minutes
Homework will not be used:
- Communicate expectations on Orientation/Open House
- During Parent Teacher Conferences
- Parent/Student Handbook
- Assign homework when necessary to reinforce the concepts learned
- Use teacher’s professional judgement/discretion as it relates to the instructional needs of the students
- Share best practices for homework during faculty meetings and/or grade level meetings
- Parents should communicate homework issues with the teacher
- Coordinate parent conference, include counselor and/or administrator if necessary
- Resources available
- Student and Parent Portal
- To discipline or punish students.
- To introduce or practice a skill the student does not understand.
- To assess a students’ learning without reference to other work.
WE ARE PARTNERS IN EDUCATING ALL OUR STUDENTS!