The Magnet Schools application period for the 2019-2020 school year is from October 1st, 2018 until January 15th, 2019.
For more information about the magnet application process, please click on 'Apply Online' or
feel free to contact the Lead Magnet Teacher: Deanna Sekel @ (305) 235-2442.
- Application Period - October 1st - January 15th
(All applications must be submitted by January 15th)
- Audition Period - January 15th - March 6th
(Letters sent by March 13th)
- Acceptance and Registration Period - March 16th - April 1st
Magnet Academic Criteria for the 2019-2020 School Year:
- Parents must contact schools directly and/or visit their website to obtain the eligibility requirements for each school/program individually.
- Schools may require items that are school specific such as: recommendation forms, proficiency tests, auditions, etc.
- Individual school requirements must be sent directly to the school(s).
- Students are selected by either random selection (commonly known as “lottery”) or audition.
- The criteria will be used to determine eligibility of applicants. Those who meet the criteria will be part of the random selection process and/or be eligible to be selected via audition process.
- It is the parents’ responsibility to contact the school for requirements that are school specific (e.g. recommendation forms, proficiency tests, auditions, etc.).
- Schools retain the right to declare a student ineligible if required documentation is not submitted by January 15th.
Visual & Performing Arts Magnets
Parents must schedule auditions/interviews by January 15th.
- A minimum of 2.0 Grade Point Average in each core academic subject area (e.g. language arts, mathematics, science, social studies) for the previous year and the first grading period of the current year combined.
- A minimum of 2.0 Grade Point Average in conduct for the core academic subject areas (e.g. language arts, mathematics, science, social studies) for the previous year and the first grading period of the current year combined.
- All effort grades in core academic classes must be a “2” or higher for the previous year and the first grading period of the current year combined.
- No more than 10 unexcused absences for the previous year and 5 unexcused absences for the first semester of the current year.
- Placement is based on audition/interview results.
- No teacher recommendation will be required.