THE MAGNET APPLICATION PERIOD HAS CURRENTLY ENDED.
The Magnet Schools application period for the 2017-2018 school year was from October 1st, 2016 until January 15th, 2017. Currently the regular application period has ended.
For more information about the magnet application process, please visit this link or
feel free to contact the Lead Magnet Teacher: Deanna Sekel @ (305) 235-2442.
Sign In to Accept Your Seat
- Application Period - October 1st - January 15th
(All applications must be submitted by January 15th)
- Audition Period - January 15th - March 6th
(Letters sent by March 13th)
- Acceptance and Registration Period - March 16th - April 1st
Magnet Academic Criteria for the 2017-2018 School Year:
- Parents must contact schools directly and/or visit their website to obtain the eligibility requirements for each school/program individually.
- Schools may require items that are school specific such as: recommendation forms, proficiency tests, auditions, etc.
- Individual school requirements must be sent directly to the school(s).
- Students are selected by either random selection (commonly known as “lottery”) or audition.
- The criteria will be used to determine eligibility of applicants. Those who meet the criteria will be part of the random selection process and/or be eligible to be selected via audition process.
- It is the parents’ responsibility to contact the school for requirements that are school specific (e.g. recommendation forms, proficiency tests, auditions, etc.).
- Schools retain the right to declare a student ineligible if required documentation is not submitted by January 15th.
Visual & Performing Arts Magnets
- Minimum of 2.0 Grade Point Average in core academic subject areas (e.g. language arts, mathematics, science, social studies) and in conduct.
- All effort grades in core academic classes must be a “2” or higher.
- No more than 10 unexcused absences will be allowed for previous year.
- Placement is based on audition/interview results.
- Parents must contact the school by January 15th to schedule auditions/interviews.
- Schools must submit to the School Choice & Parental Options office a record of audition/interview results by April 1st each year.
- FSA scores can only be reviewed as part of the eligibility process under very limited circumstances.
- Elementary schools may not review FSA scores.