Please follow the steps listed below to ensure that your child(ren)’s magnet application is processed in a timely manner.
Complete the 2017-2018 Magnet Application
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Lead Magnet Teacher:
Deanna Sekel (305)235-2442
- Application Period - October 1st - January 15th
(All applications must be submitted by January 15th)
- Audition Period - January 15th - March 6th
(Letters sent by March 13th)
- Acceptance and Registration Period - March 16th - April 1st
Magnet Academic Criteria for the 2017-2018 School Year:
- Parents must contact schools directly and/or visit their website to obtain the eligibility requirements for each school/program individually.
- Schools may require items that are school specific such as: recommendation forms, proficiency tests, auditions, etc.
- Individual school requirements must be sent directly to the school(s).
- Students are selected by either random selection (commonly known as “lottery”) or audition.
- The criteria will be used to determine eligibility of applicants. Those who meet the criteria will be part of the random selection process and/or be eligible to be selected via audition process.
- It is the parents’ responsibility to contact the school for requirements that are school specific (e.g. recommendation forms, proficiency tests, auditions, etc.).
- Schools retain the right to declare a student ineligible if required documentation is not submitted by January 15th.
Visual & Performing Arts Magnets
- Minimum of 2.0 Grade Point Average in core academic subject areas (e.g. language arts, mathematics, science, social studies) and in conduct.
- All effort grades in core academic classes must be a “2” or higher.
- No more than 10 unexcused absences will be allowed for previous year.
- Placement is based on audition/interview results.
- Parents must contact the school by January 15th to schedule auditions/interviews.
- Schools must submit to the School Choice & Parental Options office a record of audition/interview results by April 1st each year.
- FSA scores can only be reviewed as part of the eligibility process under very limited circumstances.
- Elementary schools may not review FSA scores.